Can the state appeal a decision by the judge in your case?

If law enforcement arrests you on suspicion of a criminal offense, a lengthy chain of events takes place. You have rights that require protection. From your arrest through prosecution and conviction, there is room for error.

A judge may make a decision that is contrary to the view of the state. Can the state appeal an order from the court?

Presumed innocent

If accused of a crime, you are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. You also have the right to a speedy trial, the right to receive a copy of the accusation against you and, in terms of a felony accusation, the right not to be prosecuted unless a grand jury indicts you.

Prosecution basics

The arresting officer must take you before a magistrate within 48 hours of your arrest. The magistrate must inform you of the accusation against you and confirm your rights to remain silent and retain counsel. If the case goes forward, you are looking at prosecution in the name of the State of Texas. The prosecuting attorney will present a written statement on behalf of the state charging you with the criminal offense, and this statement must come from a proper complaint. If a felony, the case requires the aforementioned indictment by a grand jury. The prosecution will commence in a district or criminal district court.

On to an appeal

If convicted of the criminal offense, you can request a review by a higher, or appellate, court to determine whether there were errors in your case. If the appellate court finds that an error occurred, the judge can reverse the decision and order a punishment hearing or a new trial. The judge could even acquit you of the crime.

The state weighs in

The State of Texas has the right to appeal a court order. For example, the state may appeal the order for a new trial. However, the state cannot appeal the decision of a judge or the verdict of a jury that finds a defendant "not guilty" of a crime. Given the sequence of events that may lead to this kind of decision, you should explore your legal options and learn all you can about appeals in a criminal case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Find Out How The Law Office of Kristin R. Brown, PLLC Can Help Your Case

Call 214-446-3909 for a free 15-minute, initial phone consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. You may also email her firm to explain your legal needs or request your free 15-minute phone consultation.

"I would recommend her to anyone for any matter. Anyone would be lucky to have her on their side." – Gina, former client

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • Super Lawyers Avvo 10.0 AV Preeminent Dallas
  • Trial Lawyers College State Bar Of Texas The National Trail Lawyers
  • Seal Of The Supreme Court Of United States The College Of The State Bar Of Texas Texas Wesleyan School Of Law
The Law Office of Kristin R. Brown Awards

The Law Office of Kristin R. Brown
17304 Preston Road
Suite 1250
Dallas, TX 75252

Phone: 214-446-3909
Dallas Law Office Map