If law enforcement arrests you on suspicion of a criminal offense, a lengthy chain of events takes place. You have rights that require protection. From your arrest through prosecution and conviction, there is room for error.

A judge may make a decision that is contrary to the view of the state. Can the state appeal an order from the court?

Presumed innocent

If accused of a crime, you are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. You also have the right to a speedy trial, the right to receive a copy of the accusation against you and, in terms of a felony accusation, the right not to be prosecuted unless a grand jury indicts you.

Prosecution basics

The arresting officer must take you before a magistrate within 48 hours of your arrest. The magistrate must inform you of the accusation against you and confirm your rights to remain silent and retain counsel. If the case goes forward, you are looking at prosecution in the name of the State of Texas. The prosecuting attorney will present a written statement on behalf of the state charging you with the criminal offense, and this statement must come from a proper complaint. If a felony, the case requires the aforementioned indictment by a grand jury. The prosecution will commence in a district or criminal district court.

On to an appeal

If convicted of the criminal offense, you can request a review by a higher, or appellate, court to determine whether there were errors in your case. If the appellate court finds that an error occurred, the judge can reverse the decision and order a punishment hearing or a new trial. The judge could even acquit you of the crime.

The state weighs in

The State of Texas has the right to appeal a court order. For example, the state may appeal the order for a new trial. However, the state cannot appeal the decision of a judge or the verdict of a jury that finds a defendant “not guilty” of a crime. Given the sequence of events that may lead to this kind of decision, you should explore your legal options and learn all you can about appeals in a criminal case.